12/03/2011

winter

She's not really here quite yet, Sister Winter, but I can hear her coming. I like to think of her trudging through a forest somewhere, lit by firelight, in the snow, coming sweetly but with wild eyes. All bundled up. She's bringing with her a basket of early bedtimes, just for me, ones accompanied by warm milk and lavender. Usually I wake up very early in the morning to get ready for school and stuff, but sometimes in winter I like to snuggle in bed a bit longer, all cozy by the light of a flickering candle. That's what winter is to me, in so many ways...pools of light in the darkness, pops of color against all the gray. Peppermint swirls and lemon yellow. Shops and neighborhoods glowing against the blackest nights of the year.I can't wait for winter break. I just can't stand it. I really can't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I make things sound so wonderful!